Thursday, 14 June 2012

Bird Houses

I was looking for something to make/alter and hang in the conservatory along with some other bits and I had a go at a couple of mini bird houses. I am really pleased with them, if I am honest I prefer the green one but there are those that will understand that! Anyway here they are, details to follow.

















First I painted using the base colour of green or blue then I spread Terra on the roofs and left it all to dry ( there was a lot of waiting to dry!). Then more of the base colour on the roofs. (More drying)


Then it was time to think of embellishments, I had a metal bird which I dipped into alcohol ink, some blue but don’t ask me which one. I also had some metal flowers and they were dipped in a rust alcohol ink and all were stuck on with Glossy Accents. Then came the flowers from the Tattered Flower Garland Sizzix die and some lace edging left over from a class. They were all coloured with Distress Inks. Once assembled it looked as if it needed something else so I found some metallic paste and rubbed on complimentary colours, silver on the green base and copper on the blue.


All in all quite please with the result.


Supplies from Pickleberry or The Artistic Stamper

Saturday, 9 June 2012

Making things

I have been in a productive mood recently and have found something to do while I am watching the TV in the evenings.


We had a crochet lesson at WI a couple of months ago and it reminded me that I can crochet. OK I don’t hold the wool and needle the way you should, I hold it as if I am knitting, but it works for me. I have also found some amazing patterns thanks to Carol (the crochet Queen) and surfing the web. Here are the 3 I have made so far.



The colours don’t show well here, they are pale pink, pale lilac and a light sage green. This was the first one I made and I need to make another one to perfect the increasing in the inner rounds. I am not sure what the stitch is called but I like to call it ‘shell stitch’.







I changed the lilac for pale blue for this bobbly one, the first I have made that is square and needed the edges kept straight. this I call loopy stitch as that is what it is created from, loops.









Finally my favourite, my cappuccino cushion. this is a 2 stage piece, make a grid then use the grid as a foundation for the ruffles. Once I got the hang of it it was really quick to do.


I also have a grey and white long pillow in the making, using this pattern but it has had to be set aside for a sweater I am making for Michael’s birthday.



I am off to a workshop today at Pickleberry with the lovely Jennie from The Artistic Stamper for a follow up Altered Book day. More pages to add to the one we started a couple of months ago.